When I’m not working as arranger and producer for the Wedding Music Project, my time is divided between my home studio and outside studios. 90% of my time in outside studios is spent at Aire Born Recording Studios in Zionsville, Indiana, as a hired player.
I’ve played for dozens of clients, so there is no way to list them all, but here are a few, if you’re keeping score:
- Hal Leonard Publishing – playing keyboards and synthesizer on sessions for Paul Lavender, Vice President of Instrumental Publications. Sessions are diverse and may include creative collaborations with Steve Hanna, Steve Dokken, Sandy Williams, Larry Sauer, and myself on rhythm sessions for the Essential Elements instrumental method books, or playing with a full orchestra laying down demo tracks for high school and college orchestras and instrumental ensembles. ~ Often the latter include popular songs from the present, and some older standards to which Hal Leonard Publications has acquired the publishing rights.
- Hal Leonard Publishing – playing keyboards and synthesizer for John Higgins, who composes and arranges musicals for various school ages, and is an integral part of their ongoing music for textbooks forays.
- Various Religious Publishing Companies, based in Nashville or elsewhere who come to the Indy area for the combination of excellent but affordable musicians, and a large studio complex 25 minutes from the airport. Sessions include arrangers and producers Larry Shackley, Mary McDonald, Lloyd Larson, Keith Christopher, Pepper Choplin, Stan Pethel, Ron and Shelley Hamilton, and a host of others.
- Plank Road Publishing – specializing in music for schools, with arrangements by John Riggio, Paul and Theresa Jennings, David and Anne Ellsworth, and Carl What’s-his-Name! Sorry Carl if you read this before I find your last name and amend the post! Carl Hitzemann is the correct answer….
- Occasionally I work for Jay Rouse, Camp Kirkland, and Randy Vader of Praisegathering Publications; this work could involve my home studio, or Gaither Recording Studios in Alexandria, Indiana. Bill and Gloria Gaither have been involved with this Praisegathering in the past.
- More arrangers that come to mind – Brant Adams, John Purifoy, Larry Pugh, Ovid Young, Roger Strader, Larry Mayfield, Mark Hayes, Robert Sterling.
- This list is probably about 1/3 complete -
For more information about Steve Millikan as producer for Hal Leonard Publishing, and Aire Born Recording Studios, click here.