Hello, internet at large. In my last blog entry, I had a little script that would fetch bits and pieces of the information offered by the Bandcamp API. I ended up mutating that script to help me out with having everything hardcoded in the front page, but I have finally actually started down the path of directly integrating with Bandcamp.
The next and hopefully final step I took with that script was to actually retrieve every piece of information offered by the API about all albums and tracks, and write all of that information into an XML file. Here is that script on Gist and here is the sort of file it generates. You will need Python two-point-five-or-six-or-something to run it, and it has not been tested on Windows, only on my own desktop and on our web host.
In the near future, I will rebuild the front page as an XSLT stylesheet using the discography XML file as a datasource, and then provide a way for Brian or Steve to force the XML file to update from Bandcamp. That will probably be chronicled in a future blog entry. So next time, expect a little bit of XSLT, some more ranting, and probably some work on integrating an outside music player.